Moving is not a taboo topic. Many people move for a variety of reasons. Some move to college, while others move to pursue their dream job. Whatever the case, affordable movers San Francisco offers are here to step in and help you move quickly. However, if you’re here to learn more about the reasons why people are moving out of California, you came to the right place. We will help you understand not only that but also whether leaving California is a good thing or not. Stick around to learn more and contact SF Moving to get a completely free-of-charge moving estimate!
The current living situation in California – what’s new?
First of all, we are not here to talk you out of living in California or make you move out of this state. We are merely here to list all the pros and cons of this place. In the end, you will be the one to decide whether to stay or relocate. Nevertheless, if you live in California, then you will probably know what we mean when we mention the downsides of living here. Of course, not all parts of The Golden State are bad but some deserve a bad review. Therefore, if you’ve been thinking about moving from one part of the state to the other, interstate movers San Francisco will gladly give you a hand and help you achieve that.
In the last couple of years, it’s been noticed that a lot of people are moving out of California. There are diverse reasons for it. Still, it doesn’t mean California is a bad place to live entirely. Before we dig into why people move out of California, let’s see what makes it a good place to live:
- The beautiful weather – This eastern coast state has one of the best climates in the entire US. It’s almost always sunny and the weather makes people want to spend all day on the beach.
- Various job opportunities – If you’re looking for a place to kick-start your career, look no further than Cali. It offers so much, especially to those who want to make progress in the movie and music industry.
- It’s one of the most diverse states – Wherever you’re coming from, California will accept you warmly. People are kind and polite, which makes it easy to blend in.
What has made people want to move out of California recently?
Many good reasons make people move to California. On the other hand, there are some serious downsides to living there. It’s especially noticed in the last could of years. So, if you’re thinking about moving from San Francisco to Seattle anytime soon, we are here to help. Let’s go through some major downsides of living in California. If you’re living there, you might see these reasons as red flags too:
- Extremely high tax rates – California has one of the highest tax rates in the US. Its state tax rate is 13,30% which is quite high. For example, Florida and Texas have lower taxes even though those are states with relatively high standards of living.
- High costs of living – Salaries in Cali are high but so are the costs of living. Moreover, gas prices are the highest in the country.
- The crime rate – Certain parts of California are quite problematic. For instance, there are some parts of San Francisco that people are advised not to visit even if there’s an emergency. Crimes such as armed robbery, theft, battery, and even homelessness are quite common.
- Poor traffic – California always had issues with overpopulation. This led to crowds everywhere, including traffic. Also, it’s poorly regulated and, on top of that, the gas prices are to the roof.
The real reasons why people are moving out of California
The above reasons should be enough on their own. But, there are additional reasons that made people move out of California, especially in the past few years. If you’re also like some who are moving from San Francisco to Portland, we believe these are the main reasons:
- Natural disasters – Some call California the state of the extremes. One of the biggest issues here is the wildfires. Frequent heat waves during summer pave the conditions for fires during the autumn months. Cali’s dry and warm weather bolsters these fires.
- The pandemic – After COVID-19 took its toll, many people started moving out of California. The citizens didn’t leave due to COVID-19 itself but due to causalities it triggered. This led to a rise in housing costs, lost jobs, and crime rates. Moreover, the birth rate started to rapidly decline.
Due to these reasons, many people started moving from San Francisco to Las Vegas or even Florida and Utah. Between April 2020 and July 2022, over 700,000 people left California. The main reasons are as stated above – poor housing conditions, homelessness, traffic jams, and natural disasters.
What are the reasons and where do people go after moving out of California?
To be honest, there are many reasons why people are moving out of California. The real question is where they go after they move. The answer is quite simple – to the neighboring states. States like Nevada, Texas, and Arizona are among the top places to move to when leaving California. That’s why moving from San Francisco to Phoenix is a great idea. Not only that but the overall cost of living in these states is much lower while the weather is similar. Of course, there are far fewer natural disasters in these states. Therefore, it’s a win-win situation on all ends.
Moving out of California – is it a good decision after all?
Now that we listed some of the major reasons why people are moving out of California, it’s time to start packing your bags. Although life in the state of California is good, there are more cons than pros. That’s why our advice is to contact SF Moving and schedule your move now. We will gladly assist you in moving to your new dream state!